Student Council 2019/2020
Scoil Bhríde, Loreto National School believes it is important that the pupils should play an active, positive role in the life of their school and believes that our Student Council helps to achieve this.
The role of the Student Council is to:
▪ provide an opportunity for pupils to voice their opinions and offer suggestions in relation to many aspects of school life
▪ discuss issues relevant to our school and encourage and promote initiatives for the pupils
▪ offer an opportunity for pupils to voice their opinions on proposed changes and thereby play a very significant role in improving our school
▪ act as a channel of communication within the school organisation, between pupils and between home and school
▪ encourage pupils, and thereby their parents, to organise events central to the life of the school
Through our Student Council, we hope to give our pupils a more active role in the organisation of our school and ensure they are listened to and respected for their ideas and concerns. Discussions in classes and at Council meetings help to develop social and learning skills in many areas including speaking and listening, problem solving, brainstorming and the decision-making process.
Topics that come under discussion at Student Council meetings may include the following:
▪ school rules
▪ behaviour and discipline
▪ green issues
▪ health and safety
▪ lunchtime games and activities
▪ making yard a happier place
Scoil Bhríde, Loreto National School are very proud of the role played by our pupils in developing our school and believe that we achieve a more pleasant and vibrant learning environment, as a result.